Argo Player Guide
The Greek myths tell us of Jason, winner of the Golden Fleece. His ship
was the Argo, and his companions, the Argonauts, included heros as
varied and incomparable as Orpheus and Hercules. The Argo carried
this band past storms and monsters; they faced love and treachery, sin and
madness; they won immortal renown, and their stories live to this day.
Argo this Argo is more modest, but also
concerns living stories: an online role-playing aid running on the
MUCK server. The goal and emphasis of Argo is to
enhance online role-playing by providing elements of chance, skill, and
earned character development. It is best used as a supplement to consensual
role playing: players may opt to plan plot developments ahead of time, as in
a traditional TinyPlot, or they may agree to let some or all plot turning
points be indicated by the outcome of skill rolls and combat.
Argo is a `points' system: character generation takes place by
means of allocating points for various attributes, advantages,
disadvantages, skills, and spells. There are no character classes. Rather,
one creates the kind of character one wants by allocating points to the
categories that best fit the desired persona. There are a number of good
role-playing game systems on the market, many of which are superior to
Argo in important respects (realism, flexibity, completeness). But
Argo does have two important qualities: One, the terms of copyright
insure that anyone can use and expand the system as they see fit. Two, it is
designed from the ground up to be implemented online. As an online gaming
system, Argo features:
- A complete character generation system, including statistics,
advantages, disadvantages, backgrounds, skills, and spells.
- Flexible commands for displaying or rolling against attributes,
skills, and spells.
- A realistic combat system, allowing easy toggling between
`combatant' and `non-combatant' status.
- Spells and psionic abilities.
- Commands for influencing rumors and reputations.
- A two-denomination money system.
- An experience point system based on skill and spell use,
player voting, and staff decree.
- Staff utilities for examining and approving characters, allocating
experience, monitoring roleplay, and configuring Argo.
- Utilities for creating objects used by the system.
- Online documentation.
- Easy installation via an
#install command for all
components and uploadable scripts for props and documents.
- Modular, expandable construction, including theme-specific add-ons.