SK: Skunk Diet and Flea Control

sewuerch at comcast.net sewuerch at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 15:05:08 PDT 2014

I want to thank everyone who responded to my concern last winter when one of my skunks had zero appetite for over a week. As you predicted, Bradley is doing fine. I would like advice on three issues for my skunks.

First, I am a little concerned on their diet and calorie intake. (I have "chunky skunkies".) I try to feed as low calorie as food as I can and still have correct nutritional balance. I feed approximately 1/3 cup of vegetables each day, with cooked green beans being the most common. In addition, 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese, 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed, several pieces of Lamb and Rice Formula, and 1 vanilla wafer. I would like to know exactly what different people are currently feeding their skunks -- amounts, brand names (if applicable), and supplements (taurine, calcium, vitamins). I use Vita-Skunk from Exotic Nutrition. Does anyone else use or have an opinion about this product? This product contains taurine but I am not sure if it has enough. In addition, I give 250 mg of calcium three times a week.

Second, my skunks have had a big problem with fleas. The skunks' veterinarian, Dr. Paradis, recommends Frontline but I have had little success using this product. Now I use Adam's Flea Spray. However, the woman that does the skunks' nails each month said that she has heard bad things about this product. I really would like to know what other people are using.

Third, one of the skunks, Milton (born April 2011), has developed paralysis in his hind legs two weeks ago. I was giving him a different brand of calcium than the other two skunks. Could this be the cause? Or, perhaps, the skunks are not getting enough taurine. I have increased his calcium intake (using the brand I give to Bradley and Parker) and am giving him oil of evening primrose as part of his therapy as suggested by an on-line source. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thank you so much for considering these questions and problems.