SK: Finally, I can write Gherkin's testimonial

Ken Rosser hepzibah666 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 18:43:50 PDT 2013

Gherkin

You were a gift in more ways than one. Mycroft had passed
 on at the veterinarians, on March 15th, the ides of March as foretold
to another ruler, Julius Caesar, in Shakespeare's play. I like to think I
 wasn't I wasn't Brutus to you Mycroft, but you were paralyzed by
congestive heart failure and edema.
    I was told on a skunks as pets list that a collection had been taken,
and I was getting another skunk. I was not sure I was ready for another
skunk, but I couldn't say no.
    Te day came when I was told to pick you up, and a good friend drove me
out of town to meet the people who had transported you from the breeder. There was a little chagrin over how you melted into my arms, but you were home, and we both knew it.
    I was not sure what to name you before you arrived, and I was pestered
about what I would name you after so well naming Mycroft, as Mycroft
Holmes because he could outwit me. Finally I said I would name you
either Thongor or Gherkin the Mighty, and according to popular  request, and not being able to think of anything else, you became
Gherkin, my sweet little pickle. You were the sweetest natured skunk I
had ever met. You let yourself be bullied by the short lived Dutch, my
first brown and white skunk, and later by Professor Moriarty and Agent
Cooper.
saw how you removed yourself from the communal bed with Cooper, and that you were not well, and preparing for the end. I could not get a vet
appointment in time, like I could not do for Moriarty.
    Your last night, I stayed up with you. I gave you a final bath in the
bathroom sink, then put you on my as you dried. I petted youtill you
indicated you wanted down, so I put you on the floor beside my feet.
    I consulted everyone who was still awake, or up early early, on what I
could do for you. One suggested corn syrup to bring your blood sugar up, but I only had honey, so I gave you that. At 9 am when the
supermarket opened, I I rushed out and bought corn syrup, also gave you
that, as well as some rescue remedy that I had only used once before,
when baby Moriarty had a seizure. It was all to no avail, and you passed on at about 9:40 am, June 11th, 2013, aged 9 years, and one month.
    Cooper seems more distressed at your leaving us. There is no skunk to open the
fridge anymore. I know I saw both you and Cooper open the fridge, but
that was your trick, and Cooper now waits for me to open the fridge for
him. I am his big brother skunk now.