SK: It always takes me a while to get ready to write something like this.

Ken Rosser hepzibah666 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 2 18:46:53 PDT 2013

Gherkin

Gherkin you were a gift in more ways
than one. Mycroft had passed on at the veterinaruians, on March 15th,
the Ides of March as foretold to another ruler, Julius Caesar in
Shakespeare's play. I like to think I wasn't Brutus to you, Mycroft.
You were paralyzed y congestive heart failure and edema.
I was told on a skunks as pets list
that a collection had been taken, and I was getting another skunk. I
was not sure I was ready, but I couldn't say no.
The day came when I was to pick you
up, and a good friend drove me out of town to meet the people who had
transported you from the breeder.There was a little chagrin over how
you melted into my arms, but you were home, and we both knew it.
I was not sure what to name you before
you arrived, and I was pestered over what woukd I name you, after I
had so well named my first skunk, as Mycroft Holmes, because he could
outwit me. Finally I said I would name you either Thongor, or Gherkin
the Mighty, and according to popuular request, and my not being able
to think of anything else, you became Gherkin, my sweet little
pickle. You were the sweetest natured skunk I had ever met. You let
yourself be bullied by the short lived Dutch, my first brown and
white skunk, and later by Professor Moriarty, and Agent Cooper.
I saw from how you removed yourself
from the communal bed with Cooper that you were not well, and
preparing for the end. I could not get a vet appointment in time, as
I could not for Professor Moriarty, either. Your last night, I stayed
up with you. I gave you a final bath in the bathroom sink, then put
you on my lap as you dried. I petted you till you indicated you
wanted down, so I placed you gently on the floor beside my feet. I
consulted everyone who was still awake, or up earlyon what I could
do.
One suggested corn sysrup to bring up
your blood sugar level, but I only had honey, so I gave you that. At
9 am when the supermarket opened I rushed out and got corn syrup and
also gave you that, as well as rescue remedy that I had only used
once before, when baby Moriarty had a seizure.
But all was to no avail, and you
passed on, about 9:40 am, June 11, 2013, aged 9 years, and one month.
Cooper seems the more depressed at at your leaving us. There is no
skunk to open the fridge anymore. I know I saw both Moriartty and
Cooper open the fridge, but that was your trick, and Cooper now waits
for me to open the fridge for him. I am his big brother skunk now.