SK: Pet skunks

Steve Wuerch sewuerch at comcast.net
Sun Jan 20 18:54:05 PST 2013

Hello,

I am most certainly able to suggest a place to get skunks -- Ruby Fur
Farms in New Sharon, Iowa.  In fact, others on the "Skunks maillist" who
have been helping me with a concern about low appetite of one of my
skunks have indicated that I have purchased my skunks from "the right
place".  To find the farm, merely Google "Ruby Fur Farm".  However,
while the farm is excellent the website really is not the best.  It
actually implies that they sell only to pet shops, etc., but they
certainly do sell to private individuals as well.  The procedure is to
call the telephone number given on the website and talk to Randy Ruby
himself.  You will have to ask if you have reached the farm itself since
the response on the other end of the line is merely, "Hello".  My skunks
were all ordered over the phone in April for delivery in June when I go
pick them up at the airport.  The skunks received will be approximately
8 weeks old.

While I am no expert and others on the Skunks maillist are certainly
more knowledgeable than myself, if you choose to buy a male skunk , I
would suggest paying the extra fee to have him neutered before
shipment.  My skunks vet, Dr. Paradis, feels that this is in the best
interest of the skunk as opposed to waiting until later.  Other vets,
however, disagree with Dr. Paradis and claim that neutering a baby male
skunk can lead to hormone problems later in life.  I prefer male skunks
(all three of mine are neutered males) because they grow somewhat larger
than females and I prefer large skunks.  I feel that Dr. Paradis is
being very honest is his assessment on early neutering since this
procedure represents a loss of money for him.  This is, he does not get
to perform the operation.

Before getting a skunk, be sure to do a lot of research first. They are
not for everybody, but I dearly love my pet skunks, especially Milton
who sleeps under the covers next to me in bed every night.  (I have a
"doggie staircase" next to my bed.)  Also be sure to post concerns on
the "Skunk maillist".  I have been subscribed for only a little over a
day and I and overwhelmed and deeply touched by the advice and concern
of others who raise skunks.  As it turns out, I apparently do not have
problem and I have been overly concerned for nothing.  If you have any
further questions, feel free to contact me.  However, others on the
maillist are probably better experts.

Steve Wuerch
Salem, Oregon