SK: Raisins... and what not...

cathygag at aol.com cathygag at aol.com
Wed Jan 6 13:02:38 PST 2010


 It wasn't until recently that I heard the news about about raisins and grapes being dangerous for dogs/cats/small animals...  I've been feeding my doberman and wolf-hybrid grapes for years, I would eat some, they would eat some...  Our wild skunks and raccoons have been raiding our grape vines for years, much to my father's dismay...  They even get naturally occurring grapes when the hornets slice the grape peels and suck out the liquid- within days of this the skunks, birds, and raccoons have a perfect little dry raisin right on the vine to munch on...  These are deep purple lovely concord grapes...  No dead skunks and raccoons yet, just lots of dark purple seedy poop all over the stairs and sidewalks, lol.   They also eat the red berries off of the cardinal bushes in our yard, these are supposed to be highly toxic, yet they show no all effects...  Toxically ripe fish and meat have disappeared from their burial sites in the garden....  And buckeyes have been known to become common foraging fair in our yard too...  Actually caught my skunk trying to steal my buckeye necklace, certainly wasn't going to take the chance and let him snack on them, but I think it's important to realize we've got animals who if not for their lucky lot in life would be eating and foraging on many a thing that we would consider to be toxic and icky...




More information about the Skunks mailing list