SK: Very sick skunk

Bruce Bmorgan3 at cfl.rr.com
Sat Sep 5 18:58:11 PDT 2009

Peggy,

I can sympathize with you.  Last April I came home from work to find my poor
skunk basically parylized from about the middle of the back.  I took her to
the vet and xrays showed she had twisted her spine.  We gave her steroids
for a month and a half, and saw that wasn't doing any good.   Since Penelope
had the use of her front legs, and she wasn't in any pain, I've chosen not
to put her down.  She doesn't know she's parylized and continues to be the
same cuddly little skunker she was before - only now I have to express her
bladder for her and keep her cleaned up!  I keep her in a playpen for the
most part, and let her wander through the house occasionally as she used to
do.  You'd be amazed at how fast she can motor around when she wants to!

I said this all to say, that if you're willing to put in the extra care and
time it takes to take care of your skunk, as long as they're not in pain -
why put them down?