SK: FW: lost skunk - advice on finding them??

Deborah Cipriani daisyphew at oh.rr.com
Mon Mar 16 19:34:52 PDT 2009

I am sorry about your baby.

Have you looked over the skunk haven's page on if you loose your skunk?

http://skunkhaven.net/LostSkunk.htm

Lost Skunk Procedure
Our worst fear is our skunk "getting out". Be prepared in case this happens:

Bring your skunk out for walks; get him accustomed to the yard/familiar
smells/surroundings. Pay attention to which direction he usually head off in
first.
Have phone numbers on hand; look at steps 4-7 below and collect local
numbers.
Do preventive measures before that happens. Skunks can tear through screen
doors/windows. Skunks can open up doors that are cracked. Put plexi-glass
over low screens. Buy a spring for your door so it will shut. Place a gate
before your doors. Screw down heating and ventilation covers. Secure the
drier vent pipes/hoses and block off access to the back of the drier.

Rescue Procedure List
1.Don't panic. Call on friends to come over and help you look while you call
out their name (some skunks get spooked by a stranger calling out their
name).
2.Make sure your skunk actually got outside... search to be sure he isn't
hiding in the house (check underneath everything as they can flatten
themselves out and squeeze through very small spaces; check to see if heater
vents have been taken up; look down the fire place hole; check closets as
some can climb up).
Once you know for sure your skunk got out then proceed with the following
steps:

3.While you are out looking, have another person make up flyers with a
picture and place flyers all over the neighborhood'.
4.Alert the neighbors - make everyone aware he is a domestic skunk and will
not spray and that he may be out during day light hours.
5.Call your local television and radio station as well as the newspaper.
6.Call an Animal Communicator such as:
Colleen Nicholson, 315-652-4964, $35.00 for 20 min.
Flash Silvermoon 352-475-2432, Fee, http://www.flashsilvermoon.com/
Jan Saks 754-214-3567
Lorelei Hunt, 302-328-8799, $25.00 for two sessions
http://www.loreleihunt.com/lost.html
http://www.questforhealth.com/AnimComm.htm
http://www.globalpsychics.com/enlightening-you/animal-communications/pet-care/lost.shtml
7.Call the police, wildlife officer, animal control, pet stores, vets, post
office, mail carrier, any delivery services, meter readers, and rehabbers in
the area. Again, make everyone aware he is a domestic skunk.
8.Set several live traps outside with: his blanket/your clothing, favorite
food, cheese or peanut butter. Cover trap with his blanket and tarp in case
of rain.
9.Look for signs of where he traveled, such as little holes that have been
dug, poop, etc.
10.If your skunk is on a feeding schedule make certain you are out looking
for him at the time he is usually fed.
11.Look in culverts, gardens, holes in logs, under porches, in other people's
garages, under buildings, in other animals holes, behind a bush, near the
garbage, around the cats and their dishes.
12.If you think your skunk is down a ground hog hole/under a building/other
area, sprinkle flour around the opening. This will show skunk tracks coming
or going.

13.Keep in mind that skunks can travel several miles.

14.If your skunk is bonded to you then place your dirty clothes/underwear
around the traps. Some owners have spread their own urine around the yard to
attract their skunk to come home.

15.Will your skunk back home. In your mind (use your third eye), will your
skunk to come back to where he walked away from. See in your mind's eye your
yard or garage, call his name, tell him to come back to wherever you "will"
him to. Send an image to him. Tell him to be careful of the big black hard
surface.

16.Set up camp outside. Sleep out under the stars in a sleeping bag.

Additional services available
John Keane (Sherlock Bones) specializes in lost animals
http://sherlock.com/bio.php 1-800-942-6637
International K-9 Search & Rescue Services
c/o Harry E. Oakes, Jr.
P.O. Box #1472
Longview, Washington 98632 USA
Oregon phone: 503-705-0258
Outside Oregon phone and fax: 360-414-8093
http://www.k9sardog.com/index.htm
Missing Pet network http://www.missingpet.net/

Deborah Cipriani
SkunkHaven ,USDA and State Lisenced