SK: urinating

Deborah Cipriani daisyphew at oh.rr.com
Sat Mar 14 04:47:26 PDT 2009

My advice would to have your skunk spayed as soon as possible.

Taken from the Skunk Haven web site
http://www.skunkhaven.net/VetCare3.htm#Pyom

Pyometra
In some cases if a skunk is not spayed they could get Pyometra (infection in
the uterus) watch for any small changes in her behaviour, unusual vaginal
discharge, or anything abnormal. Pyometra will also cause the animal,
(skunk, dog) to go down in the rear.

Once they become septic (infection in the blood) they fade very quickly and
treatment may not help at all.

Read about Pyometra and Pyometra In the Dog...The Pet Center.

We do have a documented case that a skunk died of Pyometra.

Deborah Cipriani
SkunkHaven ,USDA and State Lisenced
www.skunkhaven.net
440-327-4349