SK: Skunks are ugly?

SB sb at aroint.org
Thu Jan 29 14:29:59 PST 2009

Well, some skunks are prettier than others. Not just the markings, but
the face. One of my skunks has lots of white fur. The lack of pigment
seems to extend to her nose that is pink. I think it detracts from her
good looks.

Another skunk looked sleek and beautiful. Then she started putting on
weight for the winter and started to look quite dumpy.

As far as taking skunks into states where it isn't legal, I can
understand the reasons people might be against it, but the other side is
that life if always filled with risk and danger. Should we not permit
any wild animals to breed because they may become prey for other
animals? Or not allow animals to breed because someone might hunt them?
What about allowing wild animals to exist when there is risk of hunger
from extreme weather?

Isn't the life of a pet skunk to be appreciated even if the skunk
doesn't last for 10 years?

And why is keeping a skunk as a pet considered acceptable? Shouldn't the
skunk be allowed to live life as nature intended rather than being kept
in captivity? Is it right to subject a skunk to surgery (de-scenting )
because it pleases its owner?

Who is to draw the line at what point protection and concern for the
animal become unreasonable? Guess it's me.

-SB