SK: Fw: WE ALL NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO KILL HR 669 NOW

SkunkLady2 at aol.com SkunkLady2 at aol.com
Fri Apr 10 08:43:12 PDT 2009

This is important.

ACTION ALERT - FROM AFA, ASA, and NAIA,
with additional information from PIJAC

WE NEED YOUR HELP -
WHETHER YOU OWN AN "EXOTIC" ANIMAL OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL.
HR 669 IS SET FOR HEARING ON 4/23/09.
WE ALL NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO KILL HR 669 NOW.

THE ISSUE - WHAT IS HR 669? - WHAT WILL IT DO?

"ONE GENERATION AND OUT" is not just limited to purebred dogs and cats.
Now our "non-native" species" are targets of the animal prohibitionist agenda.
Under HR 669, "non-native" basically means if a species of animal didn't
live in the US before the arrival of Columbus it is "non-native", and if HR
669 passes, most non-native species of animal (i.e., exotic animals) won't
remain in the US much longer. That means your exotic pet bird,
reptile, fish, or mammal.

HR 669 is a very serious and harmful animal prohibition proposal. HR 669 is
not needed to protect our environment. HR 699 is the legislative equivalent
of a nuclear bomb that is aimed at the entire US exotic pet industry, all
US exotic pet owners, and all exotic animals in the US.

HR 669 is an "anti-animal bill". There is no amendment that can fix this
bill. HR 669 will hurt everyone who owns an animal, and it will hurt our
animals. Breeder, pet owner, rescuer, rehabilitator, zoo, service or product
provider - it doesn't matter - we will all be hurt by this bill. HR 669 needs to
be killed at the April 23rd hearing - not amended, not "made better" - HR
669 NEEDS TO BE KILLED. Please contact the Representatives hearing this
bill NOW and ask them to KILL HR 669 (see below for contact information).

All import, export, transport across State lines, selling, buying,
bartering, or offering to sell, buy or barter, and all breeding, and release, of all
non-native species not on the "approved list" will be prohibited - even by
zoos, sanctuaries, and licensed breeders. Permits authorizing only
"importation" may be issued to "zoos, scientific research, medical, accredited
zoological or aquarium display purposes, or for educational purposes that are
specifically reviewed, approved, and verified by the Secretary". There is
no requirement that any permits be granted. Even if these institutions are
able to obtain the required permits, where will they obtain their imported
animals? Habitat for many species is declining worldwide, many species are
endangered or threatened in the wild, and many species cannot be imported to the
US under the CITES treaty. The result of this bill will be to put a stop
domestic breeding of most endangered or threatened species in the US for zoos,
conservation, or reintroduction programs. Zoos are not immune from the
animal prohibitionist agenda.

If you "possess" a non-approved species "legally" prior to enactment of the
law, you will be allowed to keep it, but all of the other restrictions pf
HR 669 will still apply to your species - you will not be allowed to sell,
transfer, transport across State lines, export, barter, trade, breed, or give
that animal to anyone else.

Pet owners will not be allowed to take their non-approved pets with them if
they move to another state, and they will not be allowed to transfer them
to anyone else who can care for them. Those pets will be euthanized when
their owners move, die, or can no longer keep their pets for whatever reason.
Pet owners and their pets are not immune from the animal prohibitionist
agenda.

"Rescue" and "sanctuary" will not be available for any non-approved species
unless the rescue or sanctuary keeps only species found within their
respective States. That result has been contemplated for years. Rescues and
Sanctuaries are not immune from the animal prohibitionist agenda.

Any person or company manufacturing or selling food or products for
non-native (exotic) species will be affected by this act.  If non-native (exotic)
species cannot be legally possessed, bought, sold, or transferred, there will
be no incentive for manufacturers of food, caging, and supplies for these
animals to remain in business. Where will non-native (exotic) animal owners
obtain the food and materials needed to keep their animals?

Freeflight of exotic birds will be prohibited.

THE LEGAL DETAILS OF THIS BILL

Under existing federal law, it must be shown that a species is harmful
before it is prohibited. That approach is reasonable, and has worked reasonably
well for many years. In essence, HR 669 turns that reasonable approach on
its head, and substitutes the unreasonable and unjustified approach of "bomb
first, ask questions later".

HR 669 requires the government to create an "approved" list of "non-native"
species that will be allowed in the US. Any species not on the "approved"
list will be prohibited. Under HR 668 the "approved" list shall include
"nonnative wildlife species that the Secretary finds ... based on scientific and
commercial information .... (A) are not harmful to the United States'
economy, the environment, or other animal species' or human health; or
(B) may be harmful to the United States' economy, the environment, or other
animal species' or human health, but already are so widespread in the
United States that it is clear to the Secretary that any import prohibitions or
restrictions would have no practical utility for the United States."

It takes time and money for the government to study any species and make a
"finding". Time and money are always in short supply, and are especially in
short supply in this economy. If your species is not included on the
original "approved list", then under HR 669 you can try to get your species
"approved" by paying a fee and submitting a proposal to our government to include
it on the "approved list". Your proposal "must include sufficient scientific
and commercial information to allow the Secretary to evaluate whether the
proposed nonnative wildlife species is likely to cause economic or
environmental harm or harm to other animal species' or human health." While your
proposal is being "evaluated" by our government, you and your animals are still
subject to the restrictions of HR 669. Whether your proposal will ever be
granted is pure speculation.

There are more than 9000 bird species, and thousands of species of birds
are kept in the US. There are many other non-native (exotic) species owned by
animal lovers across the US. How many bird or other non-native (exotic)
species do you think our government can afford to study and determine that they
can be added to this newly created "approved list"?

If the required study can't be made of a species, and the required finding
isn't made about a species, the animal won't make it to the approved list.
That applies to every species of non-native (exotic) animal.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP KILL HR 669

Contact your Representatives NOW

1. You can use NAIA's Capwiz tool to send an automatic email or fax to
each of the Representatives who will hear this bill to ask them to KILL HR
669. Here's the link to send your email using Capwiz:  <
www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/>

2. PIJAC has provided us with a PDF flyer which explains to pet owners
how HR 669 will hurt all of us and our animals. The PIJAC PDF flyer is
attached to this email. The PIJAC PDF flyer provides you with contact
information - use it. Please contact your own Representatives NOW, and tell them to
KILL HR 669. Be polite and respectful, but be clear and firm in your
opposition to this bill. Be brief, and tell them a few reasons why you think it is a
bad bill. Short and to the point works best. If you have time, you can also
contact all of the other Representatives in your State.

Write to your Representative using their contact pages on their websites.
Unfortunately, it is sometimes hard for us to contact some of our
Representatives - emails don't often go through, letters aren't read, and we sometimes
have to write individually to our Representatives using the contact pages
they put up on their websites. PIJAC has done the work to give us links where
needed for these contact pages for these websites so that we can make those
contacts and NAIA is making "Capwiz" available for the one-shot contact - go
to the Capwiz webpage at <www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/>

Be sure to contact the local office of your own Representative by phone,
and if you can, make a personal visit. Our congressional representatives are
now on recess, and will return to their work at the Capitol next week. Let
your Representatives' local offices know NOW that you want them to KILL HR
669. If the local staff hear from enough constituents that they want a bill
killed, they will let their Representatives know that their constituents hate
this bill.

3. Distribute this email widely to everyone you know who loves animals and
wants to keep them in our lives. In particular, send it to any pet lists you
are on. This bill will impact almost all non-native animals. Ask them to
contact the representatives and ask them to KILL HR 669.

You can see PIJAC's earlier alert on HR 669 here:
<http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf>

You can see the full text of the bill here:
<http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&
docid=f:h669ih.

txt.pdf>

4. If you have a website or belong to a discussion list, please post this
Alert . Ask your friends to do the same.

A NOTE ALL ANIMAL OWNERS, AND ESPECIALLY TO BIRD OWNERS

Does the Pennsylvania Proposed Ban of the Nanday Conure of 2008 ring a
bell for anyone?

For those bird owners who fought so hard and so well for the Nanday in
Pennsylvania in 2008 - that was just target practice.

HR 669 IS THE ANIMAL PROHIBITIONIST NUCLEAR OPTION -
STOP IT NOW.

Get your phones, emails, and faxes working and get our troops marching
again. We need every one of you to help again, and we need the help of everyone
you know. It doesn't matter if they own a bird, a dog, a cat, a turtle, a
hamster, a fish, a snake, a tiger, a monkey, or any other animal. We are all
affected by this bill.  Don't let the animal prohibitionists force their
agenda on the rest of us.