SK: FYI....Attention those in Georgia and nearby

dominique durbin driller_dominique at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 10:19:58 PDT 2008

Write a petition to the director of the department. Have everyone you can rewrite it in their own words and send it separately, independent of each other.
Here are some of the main points legislatures and bureaucrats care about.

1.     Currently legal skunks are allowed medical treatment care and surveillance. By making skunks illegal, they will no longer be allowed medical care or surveillance, therefore creating public health risk that is not in place right now.
2.     Permits produce revenue for the department. Illegal skunks would not be feasible to enforce or monitor. Permits allow for monitoring and tracking. People will break the law, some aware and some not aware. With a permit policy the department can maintain safe and just policies and allow freedom of ownership under controlled guidelines. It is better to monitor the legal permits than create a reason for illegal activity.
3.     Pet skunks have caused no problems for society or public health. According to the CDC (based in Atlanta) ferrel cats are the highest concern for rabies or feline distemper outbreaks to potentially reach humans, pet skunks are not a large enough group of potential risk to public health to even be considered.
4.     Banning certain species was not included in  the legislative intent of the department's scope of jurisdiction. Breed and species bans have been overturned by the US Supreme Court.
5.     There is a vaccine for skunks allowed to be used off label in some states, Imrab 3. Under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian zoo's inoculate display skunks with Imrab 3 the same way they do lions, tigers, bears, and other species not holding a specific rabies vaccine license. The only reason Imrab 3 is not USDA licensed for skunks is because of market demand. The testing and licensing costs could not be recouped in a justifiable time frame, so no board of directors who answers to stock holders would approve the necessary expenditure.
6.     If the department really had a concern for public safety, they would spend the approximately 1 million dollars needed to add skunks to the current license of Imrab 3. (fund the testing and licensing requirements) After all, Merial Inc.'s US headquarters is located in Georgia. Instead of banning pet skunks, the Department should be a leader in bettering and helping the only truly Native American companion animal.

Send me all of the exact text of the laws that he is using to make this ban and I will get more specific for you.

Dom