SK: Getting a pet skunk (Suffolk County, Long Island, NY)

wormofdaweb at optonline.net wormofdaweb at optonline.net
Thu Aug 7 13:31:07 PDT 2008

Alright, yes I've heard they're available pretty much exclusively in June-July. BUT me and my mother are mourning the loss of our lizard Sheeba.  I think she's sick of these little caged animals dying every few years and wants something that will live longer. My psychologist talked to me about it today, and then said he knew someone not too far from here who had a skunk! And that it was a really cool pet and almost cat-like. Why we would consider a skunk instead of a cat or dog? My step-dad. He's allergic to cats and dogs, HOWEVER we have been to the zoo and fed giraffes, so we know he's not allergic to all animals. Although we can't get a giraffe. :P But yeah I think just cats and dogs.
I live in Suffolk County, on Long Island in New York. Exotics are illegal in the five boroughs, however I am not close to them so I don't have to worry. I think we need to get a permit however. How would I get this?
But before I even get into that, I'd need to know if it's possible to get a skunk at this point and where to get one. If anyone could help, that would be great. We don't care about appearence or gender. If one is available, we'll see if we can get one.
Also any personal tips from skunk owners would be great.
Thanks in advance.