SK: UK breeders

David McDaniel trappermac at
Sat Nov 24 22:26:08 PST 2007

Most hardcore animal rights terrorists (some probably reside on this list)
do not believe in TNR practices for feral animals, so you are right, they
would not approve of the little incision it takes to remove the two scent
glands. I have heard many say that owning any pet is against their beliefs.
Good luck owning a skunk in old England if it's legal I'm happy for you. I
imagine in the USA there are some underground unethical practices as well
being used to obtain skunks. I don't think you can transport any pet/wild
skunk (same thing) without permits because of the states language but I
would need to research that one.

Fur, skulls, glands and essence are a big market too and it's l-e-g-a-l
within harvest dates. Isn't that right Old Shelor and friends?

-----Original Message-----
From: skunks-bounces at [mailto:skunks-bounces at] On Behalf
Of Mike
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2007 12:39 PM
To: Skunks List
Subject: SK: UK breeders

Hi all, just joined!  I live in England.  Yes, OLD England... :)

I've read the last couple of months' posts on the archive, so I'm
familiar with the kind of thing that gets discussed here.

I'm not ready for a pet skunk yet because I rent a small place and I
probably also don't have the time to care for one properly at the
moment, but I am interested in them and I think they are lovely animals.

I'm finding out as much as I can about them, and I read an article in
a UK newspaper online (The Guardian) that criticised the keeping of
skunks in the UK for various reasons, many of which I was not
entirely convinced about (e.g. they said they are never truly
domesticated like cats and dogs, which is probably true but I find it
irrelevant - I think the same could be said of many other pets, like
ferrets for example, which are relatively commonly kept here).

One statement that I noticed, and which I had never heard before, was
that they said that the de-scenting operation was not legally
available here.  There is a feeling among animal care professionals
that it is inhumane.  This puzzles me a little because people get
their pets neutered and spayed all the time.  Isn't that inhumane
too, under those standards?

The result, according to the article, is that pet skunks in the UK
are often not de-scented (I'd call that fairly irresponsible), or had
been de-scented without anaesthetic (I'd call that very cruel indeed,
and also it would probably be asking for trouble with respect to the
animal's future temperament).

Does anyone know about this?  Lots of skunk info sites say that you
can keep them as pets in the UK, but they never seem to mention
anything about the availability of de-scenting and/or neutering
here.  Perhaps breeders are able to do it under licence?  I don't
even know of any UK breeders yet, but it's early days in my research!

I look forward to your replies.
Skunks rock!

Skunks maillist  -  Skunks at
To unsubscribe: