SK: Loopholes/workarounds?

Rachelle Landreth localrockqueen at
Fri May 11 14:02:49 PDT 2007

Hi, I've wanted a pet skunk for about 15 years now,
after I saw a lady come to my elementary school and
teach us about different animals.  One of those that
she brought with her was a skunk.  Ever since then
I've been hooked.  The problem is that I live in
Kansas.  Years ago I contacted Parks and WIldlife and
they told me that it was illegal to own any animal in
Kansas that is native to Kansas.  I know there is
always some way around pet laws.  I was wondering if
anyone had any suggestions on where to start.

To the best of my knowledge, only black and white
skunks can be found in the wild here, so could I maybe
get away with other colors?

Last year I found something that I thought would work
by applying for a game breeder license, USDA license,
and a furharveting license (of course I wouldn't
actually take their pelts) but the Wildlife department
never got back to me.  Has anyone tried working around
the law like this?

Or is there some kind of educator's permit or exhibit
permit that would legally grant me possession of a

I think it's pretty stupid that you are allowed to own
tigers and monkeys but you can't own a skunk.

Thanks in advance,

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.