SK: Vicki, re: Ruby's

SkunkLady2 at SkunkLady2 at
Sat Jun 9 20:43:38 PDT 2007

In a message dated 6/9/2007 8:59:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
laurafrahm at writes:

> she had a diet like a cat,

We have learned over the last 30 years that catfood is the worst thing to
feed skunks.  80 to 90% of their diet should be raw vegetables, with EVERYTHING
else falling into the remaining percentage.....low-fat cottage cheese, low-fat
yogurt, high fiber cereals, cooked chicken, turkey or fish, a small amount of
fruit occasionally, a boiled egg a week.....they're easy to feed healthily.

Stripes should be blindingly white.  Yellowing is usually caused by a
roundworm infestation.  They should be dewormed monthly with a dogwormer with the
active ingredient PAMOATE PYRANTEL.  Other wormers are either ineffective or
dangerous.  The SKUNK dosage is one teaspoon per 5 lbs of weight....divide or
multiply as needed, given monthly.  (The dosage on the label is for dogs!)

There IS the very rare skunk who's stripes aren't white, but they are few and
far between.  Personally, I've seen two in 20 years of working with skunks
and they WERE beautiful!

 See what's free at