SK: Skunks in West Virginia and hope to create a rabies vaccination

SkunkLady2 at aol.com SkunkLady2 at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 13:07:06 PDT 2007

In a message dated 7/24/2007 3:44:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
AntaresTCH at aol.com writes:

> development of a rabies vaccine for skunks.

There is one...it's Imrab3, made right here in Georgia.  The testing was all
done years ago.  "All" we have to do is get the word SKUNKS on the label and
we're there, but that has proven VERY difficult, twice.  There have been
petitions with thousands of names presented to the company and before they could do
anything, other people have made unpleasant waves and ticked the company off.
Reportedly the petitions have been destroyed....I don't know.

Though rehabbers do it openly, it is illegal to innoculate wildlife by most
state laws and since we haven't succeeded (or even tried?) in getting
distinction written in law between WILD and DOMESTIC skunks.......technically it's
illegal for us to innoculate our own animals.
That is a hurdle that needs addressing before we can hope to succeed
in getting an approved Rabies vaccine for our skunks.

Canada has been baiting for Rabies for years and has almost obliterated it
from their wildlife......the Imrab3 success rate is 98%...
and the last I heard, ours, which the FDA approves and the law requires that
we give dogs and cats, has a success rate of 70% I believe.  Does THAT make
you feel safe?