SK: Skunks in West Virginia and hope to create a rabies vaccination

AntaresTCH at AntaresTCH at
Tue Jul 24 12:43:31 PDT 2007

Hello  skunks-request at,
In reference to your  comment:

Dear Sirs:
My name Is John R Gank, I  live In West Virginia.  Can you please tell me how
to contact Skunk  breeders?  Also, how do I go about obtaining my permit to
own my  Skunk?  Thank you for your help.
John R  Gank
randythelifter at

_No  Importation or Pet Permits Issued For Raccoon, Fox or Skunk in West
Virginia _ (
The above is a link to the page in the West Virginia DNR policy regarding
pet skunks. The best hope to have skunks reinstated as pets seems to be the
development of a rabies vaccine for skunks. See this link: _Aspen Skunk Rabies
Research,  Inc_ (
for information on efforts to try and have this vaccine developed.
I am wondering if there is a college or university that would be willing to
develop the vaccine as one of their research programs, as rabies is major
concern in this country and internationally at this time. Baits are being
developed and refined to orally vaccinate wild skunks and racoons, perhaps this
technology could be used to create a vaccine for our pet skunks.