SK: Spotted skunks as pets

TIMOTHY ECHOLS timleonyx at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 08:47:35 PST 2007

Oh, and by the way, people that own exotics can always call Doctors Foster & Smith(800)-826-7206 for self applied vaccines for their pets Ask for the dog magazine.It has both canine& feline vaccinations for your exotic pets such as skunks & raccoons(in between pets-as I like to call them). Make sure to get the Prevent/Vac-Canine7 & Felo-O-VaxLV-KIV. But Remember, NEVER vaccinate a WILD-CAUGHT animal, because it may already be harboring the Virus, in incubation stage, and the drug will simply manifest the disease, a lot sooner than normal. Trust me, death will not be PRETTY!!!
Also, it depends on which State you Live, on whether you will or will not be mailed syringes.

SkunkLady2 at aol.com wrote:
In a message dated 2/19/2007 10:57:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
timleonyx at yahoo.com writes:

> discourage EVERYONE from obtaining a skunk, just so she can
> feel"special"...

LOL  AND WRONG AGAIN!!.....those of us who truly care about animals,
discourage taking of WILD animals....ANY wild animal, especially those Threatened and
Endangered.  Why someone would want to take on the health problems, physical
problems, behavior problems and short lifespan of a wild skunk is beyond me.
In my book, 12-15 years and beyond FAR OUTWEIGHS 2-4 years!
Just my opinion!!  I've been owned by Domestic/Pen-raised skunks
for over 18 years.  : )

<<<< there has to be "legal-loopholes" somewhere on the law books... >>>>
That is putting personal desires above the health, safety and
well-being of animals.  It would be different if discovery took
place and the illegal animal in question was simply relocated and released,
but USUALLY, they are confiscated and killed.
Certainly not my choice for showing love of animals.

In regards to "ermine",  I'm sure a weasel would be interesting, but I'd also
think that nothing in your home would be safe from
destruction.  Having an animal that is brown 3/4 of the year and white 1/4
would definitely be fun for some.

For those interested, this site has two pictures
of the Ermine, Summer and Winter
and some great information on them.
 http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/ermine.htm

Make it a SPECIAL day!  : )