SK: Spotted skunks as pets

TIMOTHY ECHOLS timleonyx at
Thu Feb 22 07:51:02 PST 2007

Yes, yes, yes... Here we go again! I'm perfectly aware of American KGB agents just waiting in the wings just to confiscate our "beloved" exotic pets. But when do we say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!?" Yes, it would break my heart(And they'd probably have to break my face-they'd get some ,too!) to have my baby carried away just to be destroyed, but I have owned exotics before-And NOBODY intervened... I enjoyed my babies from babyhood 'til old age.
And about the ermines, well, I'm not planning on winning the "House-Beautiful" awards anytime soon, (and anyone who plans to had better NEVER get an exotic)and they would inhabit the basement, anyway. Touche'
Once again, we have plan to agree to disagree...
Good day, Madam.

SkunkLady2 at wrote:
In a message dated 2/19/2007 10:57:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
timleonyx at writes:

> discourage EVERYONE from obtaining a skunk, just so she can
> feel"special"...

LOL  AND WRONG AGAIN!!.....those of us who truly care about animals,
discourage taking of WILD animals....ANY wild animal, especially those Threatened and
Endangered.  Why someone would want to take on the health problems, physical
problems, behavior problems and short lifespan of a wild skunk is beyond me.
In my book, 12-15 years and beyond FAR OUTWEIGHS 2-4 years!
Just my opinion!!  I've been owned by Domestic/Pen-raised skunks
for over 18 years.  : )

<<<< there has to be "legal-loopholes" somewhere on the law books... >>>>
That is putting personal desires above the health, safety and
well-being of animals.  It would be different if discovery took
place and the illegal animal in question was simply relocated and released,
but USUALLY, they are confiscated and killed.
Certainly not my choice for showing love of animals.

In regards to "ermine",  I'm sure a weasel would be interesting, but I'd also
think that nothing in your home would be safe from
destruction.  Having an animal that is brown 3/4 of the year and white 1/4
would definitely be fun for some.

For those interested, this site has two pictures
of the Ermine, Summer and Winter
and some great information on them.

Make it a SPECIAL day!  : )

Skunks maillist  -  Skunks at