SK: temperment and time

R Weichert rmacki08 at
Tue Feb 6 19:45:23 PST 2007

I am looking into getting a skunk soon, and although I have been wanting one for years and done a lot of research, I still have some questions:
Does anyone know if there is a general difference of temperament between males and females (especially during mating season)?  My parents had male cats that used to go nuts during the spring (even though they were neutered).
Also, I have heard many people say that having a skunk is like having a full time job or having children.  I was wondering how long is ok to leave a new skunk at home alone.  I know that they need to be fed more often and need a lot of attention especially when they are little.  My husband and I both work full time, but I have fairly flexible hours; thus, on an average day there are a max of 6 hours that no one is home (usually only 4).  Is this too long?
When leaving a skunk at home before it is really well acquainted with its surroundings, is it best to enclose it in a smaller room or keep it in some sort of enclosed area (I know my friend used to put her potbellied pig in a child play pen that was about 4x4).  I just want to make sure it doesn’t get hurt or have accidents around the house when I can’t be there.
In that vein as well, is it better to have two skunks, so they can keep each other company?  I don’t want my new baby to feel neglected; however, I am hesitant to immediately dedicate my time, energy, and money to having multiple skunkies unless it is irrefutably better.
I really appreciate the help!

Ask your question on