SK: What can we do?

SkunkLady2 at SkunkLady2 at
Tue Aug 21 19:42:19 PDT 2007

Hi, This is intended for all Skunk groups..... For many weeks now you have
asked me to comment on this tragic situation. It has been even more painfull for
us ,as we have monotored the mother skunk ( Frost) from the Camperlings
Group, for three years. We also watched these babys begin thier short lives amoung
the campers at Hueston Woods State Park. Only three weeks prior we filmed
these little ones. As stated before we could not comment on certian aspects of
this case because of our close afillation with the park management, law
inforcement both Rangers and Ohio Wildlife officers.   The sentencing of the three
youth in question is on September 12.       I will now break my silence in this
particular area.   I wrote a letter to Judge Mike Powell of the Warren County
Ohio Juvenile Court.  In my letter I wrote of my husband and myself dedication
and affection for a animal that is very mis represented. I wrote of the many
benefits to our inviorment that the skunks provide, and of its (live and let
live attitude) to both animals and humanes. I told of the linage of skunk that
has been domesticated by our Native American Indians and that survives today as
companion animals. I told of the first Legislation to protect the skunk, which
came out of the concerns of the Illinois (Hop) farmers, back in the 1800,s.
If not for the skunk, the intire (Hop) crop would have been lost. In
conclusion  I commented that this was a very sad incident for both the baby skunks as
well as the three boys.  In our opinion we feel that the three youths should
recieve punishment for thier cruel actions but also should be required to be
placed into an educational program on skunks to learn about the animals they
destroyed.  We will leave this issue for his discression and review.   Any ind
ependant comments from others, may be sent to the Honorable Judge Mike Powell,
Warren County Common Pleas Court,  Probate-Juvenile Division  570 Justice, Lebanon
Ohio 45035  Phone # 1-513-695-1160..............      Cody & Arnold
Hildebrand.... Wild Brother Animal Behavior Study....

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at