SK: any breeders in the new york area?

Skunks Rule! skunksrule at comcast.net
Sun Jul 23 09:31:37 PDT 2006

The State Fish and Game (or Dept. of Natural Resources, whatever you state
calls that dept.) will issue you a permit.
But, from what I understand, the Health Department will then step in and
refuse you ownership, due to a rabies scare there a couple years back.
So if you get the skunk, then the Health Dept. might step in and take it,
which means destroying the animal and sending the head in for rabies testing
on the brain.
You need to call your local government (town, city, county) and your local
Health Dept. and make sure all of those agencies will approve.  Even if one
of those refuse, you are stuck.  The paperwork will filter down to all these
agencies, so if you don't get caught today, or next week even, it will be
next month.
This has happened in NM, too.  The state issued the permits, the people got
their skunks, then the Health Dept. stepped in and gave them 24 hours to get
the skunk out of the state, or they would destroy them.
Linda