SK: any breeders in the new york area?

SkunkLady2 at aol.com SkunkLady2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 23 09:17:27 PDT 2006

In a message dated 7/23/2006 11:49:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wonderwoman653 at aol.com writes:

> any breeders in the area,

Skunks breed only once a year and kits are born in May and are available, in
legal states, in larger metropolitan petstores, in June only.  There will be
no more baby skunks until next June.    The price ranges from $125 to $800+
depending on what a given market will bear.

Skunks aren't recommended in homes with young children or small pets such as
birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, lizards or snakes.  Small kittens and
puppies would also be in danger.

The only breeder we recommend is Ruby Farms in New Sharon, Iowa.  They are
family owned/operated, have been in business since 1932 and documented Rabies
free all that time, a claim that cannot be truthfully made by other breeders out
there.  Ruby's is the only breeder allowed to ship into many of our legal
states.

Taking a wild kit is not recommended as, due to genetic damage by Man's
pesticides/herbicides/pollution....the lifespan of a wild skunk is 3-4 years.
Current health problems could initially be undetectable. Properly raised, our
Domestic skunks are living 12-15 years and beyond.  We know of several who have
passed 22 years of age!

You have plenty of time to study and decide if a skunk is truly the right
companion animal for your heart and home for the next 12 to 15 years, if fed the
proper diet, neutered or spayed early, regularly dewormed and given regular
veterinary care.

Our sites are a good place to learn, because skunks DEFINITELY aren't for
everyone!!  Our sites are the most current and up to date with information on
Domestic Skunks.  We work hard to keep them that way for people just like you.

The second listed site has a link to the Pet Skunk Photograph Album with
pictures of pet skunks from all over the world.  ENJOY!! And please write anytime
you have further questions!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Shelor Brumbeloe
Skunks As Pets, Inc.
http://www.skunksaspets.com
http://www.matriarch.ORG
Check out The Pet Skunk Photograph Album!
bcc/retained