SK: RE: picky eaters

ksollie ksollie at nvc.net
Wed Sep 14 07:36:16 PDT 2005

Cheryl and all,
Good morning folks. Been a long time since I have been one here but I
sure do read every  message that comes across my screen :)  I too used
to give my skunks unprocessed honey both as a yummy treat and to get
them started on something I knew they needed but would turn their little
noses up at.  I would get mine straight out of the hive and give them
the comb and all. (hope I spelled that right).  I would use very little
of it and it seemed to work.  Having the super noses that skunks do, the
little buggers would know whenever I brought a piece of honeycomb into
the house :)  We have a bee keeper that uses some of our clover land for
his hives every year and he still gives me chunks of it for my wild
babies.  I don't know how many of you have seen a bee hive up close but
he swears that two skunks, working together, can get the top off faster
than the biggest coon.  This guy is a bit odd to other bee keepers
because if he sees the critters trying to open his hives he will sit
back and take pictures of them doing it. He says the skunks are his
favorites because pound for pound they can get more done than a coon LOLL.
Have a great day all and, please, each of you give your skunks a big hug
for me.  I miss mine so much and my guess is there will come a time when
a new little one(domestic) will run our household, once again, with an
iron paw as usual.
Before I stop I will ask a question that I have posted before.  One of
my adult daughters has a year old male skunk that is fully intact--yup,
fully armed as well.  No vet in the state would neuter or take out the
scent glands on him because he was wild born.  By the time he was well
enough to do either or even consider rehabbing him back to the wild he
was fully humanized.  He is a love, but if any of you know of a
place/person who could take him please let me know.  My daughter has had
several job offers that would cause her to be forced to move to town she
keeps turning them down because of a little striped love bug.  As many
babies as I have worked with, it is my real opinion, that this guy
cannot be trained to be wild again.  He was so tiny when she found him
that his eyes were not open and she fed him on a bottle. When those eyes
came open Kari(daughter) was Mom and her small dogs and cats were just a
part of his litter.  If there is any help or ideas out there please let
me know. I really don't know where to ask.  Silly Kari did try to get
help from Game, Fish and Parks and naturally they said to kill him.  She
does have a permit to care for him but it sure doesn't help her much. If
there is no help to be found she has made up her mind to keep her low
paying job so the skunk can continue to live out in the country.  Hmmm,
guess she is my kid :)
Thanks guys,
Karla(S.D.)

Karla