SK: Thinking about getting.. Skunked?

Stacy Sims ivorytofu at
Mon Nov 21 16:54:24 PST 2005

I agree with what you have said there because the vet I take Murray to told
me the "carrier story" which prompted me to do extensive research on this
subject.  This research led me to Jerry Dragoo, I am certain you have heard
of him also known as the "Skunk Man".  Mr. Dragoo was kind enough to
corrspond with me via email on this subject.  Mr. Dragoo states that while
there is no true carrier state for rabies and that most animals including
skunks come down with symptoms within 12 days of exposure, he has never seen
a skunk go this long, the length he has observed is only 6 days in the wild
skunks he studies, he did tell me that often when the mother skunks are
denning together they will pass rabies on to the kits because there is such
a large group of them together at once. I suppose this is where the tale
comes from if people observed very young skunks with rabies.

I never ment to imply that there was a carrier state among skunks or any
animals.  Unfortunately, a lot of people do believe this.