SK: Thinking about getting.. Skunked?

Stacy Sims ivorytofu at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 15:23:31 PST 2005

Hey Texas,  see attachement

Have you checked to see if they are legal in your state?
Never take a wild one and try to make a pet of it, WILD skunks can carry
rabies, plus you will probably get sprayed, not very pleasant.  I am new
skunk owner, Murray is 6 months now, and I had no idea what being a skunk
owner was all about even after all the research and reading I did before
obtaining my little skunkadoodle.

They require an extreme amount of attention, I mean extreme at least when
they are young, they are very demanding, when they want something they want
it right then and there.  With you being a college student and all of the
studing and activities that go along with that Please consider very
carefully about purchasing a skunk, sure they are cool and people are kinda
shocked, but wait you can't just take him/her out in public like a cute
little dog and let people pet, your skunk just might bite someone and then
he/she will be taken to the pound and probably put down.  Kinda like owning
an Akita, you have to be very careful and by keeping your beloved pet away
from strangers you are protecting him/her from possible death.

The feeding has been a challenge for me, and it can be expensive as well,
fresh produce isn't cheap but hey I have learned to eat better myself.  The
pet store Murray came from they were feeding them salads, I have learned
that is not the proper diet for a skunk.

If you think you can just be gone all the time away from your skunk when
he/she is young forget it they need the attention and they HAVE to be
handled quite a bit when little.

I guess one good way of putting is ask yourself this question:  Are you
ready to have a baby?  Think about all of the responsibility of taking care
of an infant.  Are you ready for that?  Oh, and don't forget the Dr bills,
they can be quite a bit I know the vet I use acutally charges more for an
exotic than for the dog/cats she sees.

Keep reading, and talk to other owners. But please really consider this.
Please help keep the little stinkies out of rescues and in good homes.