SK: Thinking about getting.. Skunked?

Stacy Sims ivorytofu at
Wed Nov 9 06:21:30 PST 2005

Hi Jeff,

I am a new skunk owner, well Murray is about 6 m now.  Please read all of
the information on as many sites as you can as they are wonderful pets but
require an extreme amount of attention. Love, disapline, medical care,
feeding and getting it right has been a challenge for me (you don't want the
white to turn yellow), they require vitamin supplements, and by no means
think you can keep them caged and get them out when ever you feel like it.
They like to be with you and be held as long as the get the proper attention
when very young.  I don't want to discourage you but as with any pet I truly
believe that when you get one you make a Lifetime commitment to that animal.
  I don't want to see any animal end up in a shelter or stuck in a cage.  It
has taken a lot of time for Murray to learn not to bite so much and I am
certain that having him neutered help a bunch.  I use an empty bathtub to
disapline him, works wonderful and he is a wonderful baby.
He's a free bird (never been caged) and I am never certain to what I will
wake up to in the mornings, he has learned to turn over the garbage can, and
yesterday I woke up to him digging in a brand new bag of kitty liter.  He
loved every minute of that and looked so cute, looked like he was digging
for a prize at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box, but a mess for me to clean
up in the end.
Before you do get Skunked look for a vet in your area that treats them and
knows what they are doing, that was a challenge for me as well even though
they are legal in GA I found one in Chattanooga, and finally found one much
closer to where I live but Murray was the first skunk she has ever treated.

As for mixing with other pets we also have 4 dogs and 3 cats, Murray and a
little mini Dashound are the only ones that play together, he doesn't care
for the cats and they don't care much for him.  He really loves to bite
their toes and they All hate that part.  But there are no fights or anything
just not much interaction at all.

Sorry to sound so negative but so few people think about this when wanting
any pet.  They do make wonderful pets.

Stacy Sims
Skunked in GA