SK: Thinking about getting.. Skunked?

Jeff Williams tramsootru at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 18:38:27 PST 2005

Hello everyone-

This is my first post and I just joined the list..

My fiancee' and I have always enjoyed "out of the ordinary" pets.. I had been looking into the possibilites of getting a koala, however, that has turned into something that is obviously not within my powers..

So, I was speaking to a friend of mine about "odd" pets and he said "well, what about a skunk?"  To which I thought - "A skunk?? Are they fun to play with?" As, that is one thing I require out of a pet.. Something that will play with me..

Anyhow, I've been doing a little bit of reading and one thing I have yet to find and it is something that will make or break this decision - is where are some reputable breeders and how much should I be looking at paying - initially - for a skunk?

I am interested to find a breeder and/or a vet.. I plan on locating local vets who will be willing to care for our skunk, however, I can go "some distance" to pick up a skunk from a reputable breeder..

I do have one other question - how do skunks mix with other pets? We currently have a cat.. Just wanted to make sure the two would get along..

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks

Jeff