SK: Found a baby skunk!

Ernest Richards III whatizsanity at msn.com
Mon Jul 11 22:37:58 PDT 2005

Hi All,
I have a dilemma.
I have found a baby skunk wandering in the road, we almost ran it over and
stopped to check it out.
It was by itself at night and no other skunks could be found.
I estimate it to be about 4 weeks old, as it's teeth have barely started to
come in, and it has no interest in solid food.

When I found it, it had bugs in its eyes and the poor guy could barely open
his eyes and it was cold and weak. We warmed it up and got it eating some
milk and it's made great progress.
He's been bumbling around quite happily and he's actually rather playful.

For now I've been feeding it goats milk with a bit of pedialyte.
I've raised a number of animals and have had success with this with
chinchillas.

Now, the problem.....
I ive in MI and upon finding the skunk I had no idea of any of the
complications surrounding keeping a skunk in the state. Apparently it is
illegal to keep a wild skunk in MI and furthermore to keep a domestic one
you need a permit. Also, I found out the rehab places won't even take in
wild skunks, which I find to be strange? Are you supposed to just let it
die?

So I'm here with this incredibly cute animal with a hell of a personality
that runs to my feet like I'm his mom. I'm conflicted because I don't know
what to do with him? I don't know how successful of a candidate for
reintroduction to the wild he is since he has no skunks to show him the
ropes and he's also become quite comfortable with people and dependent for
food.

I'm bummed because I don't think I'll be able to keep him due to legality
issues and vet issues and I won't be able to get him descented by a vet
since it isn't legal to own him in the first place. I also worry about being
able to reintroduce him into the wild.

I would love to keep him around, and if I could keep him somehow, I'd like
to make him a nice big habitat in the back yard and also allow him inside
when he pleases.  This is not seeming like a possibility though.....

So if anyone has any reasonable advice on what to do, please let me know.
Feel free to contact me privately if you want.
I know this may be a sensitive matter due to legal issues
Thanks