SK: VERY IMPORTANT re: sick babies in Florida

Mary Kaye Ashley mka at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Aug 11 04:34:13 PDT 2005

Florida Fish & Wildlife Commission is now in the process of trying to help with the viral outbreak.  They tell me they have no quick, direct means of reaching Florida skunk owners who've had sick babies this year as well as the vets who have treated these skunks.  What they need ASAP (hopefully within the next 48 hours) is a copy of any labwork that has been done on your sick skunks, especially any test that was done for distemper which yielded a positive result.

If you live in Florida, and you or your vet has a copy of this kind of labwork, please email me ASAP.  They would like to have a copy of the test results faxed to them within the next couple of days to enable them to move ahead with the next stage of their investigation.

I will provide you with the fax number and the name of the contact person in Tallahassee who wishes to receive the information.  I'm sorry that I'm not able to give out this information on a public list and am instead asking you to email me privately.  Sadly, we've had problems in the past with individuals calling and harrassing the authorities who were trying to help us.  The skunks desperately need FL Fish & Game on their side in order to win the battle over this virus.  Their very lives depend on it!!

An additional problem that we are trying to prevent is the spread of this virus into Florida's wild animal population.  Yesterday I was informed by a veterinarian that certain diseases like distemper could mean the end of the Florida panther, who is already dangerously close to extinction level.

Mary Kaye Ashley
American Domestic Skunk Association, Inc.
President, Florida Chapter
Vice President, Board of Directors