SK: VACCINE REACTIONS IN MUSTELIDAE

dennis urbanski urbanden at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 5 09:54:48 PST 2003

HI CHERYL:
I DONT KNOW WHAT "LOCAL" IS IN YOUR REQUEST FOR
INFORMATION- I FOUND YOUR QUESTION (SITE) BY TRYING TO
GET MORE SPECIFIC INFO ON ANAPHALACTIC SHOCK IN
FERRETS FROM RAB/DIS TEMP VACS. LAST NIGHT I TOOK 2 OF
MY 3YR OLDS IN FOR THEIR ANNUAL VACS AND THIS IS THE
FIRST TIME THEY BOTH HAD A VIOLENT REACTION. I HAD TO
TO LOOSE THEM BOTH. THEY PULLED OUT OF IT WITH OUT
ANTIHISTAMINE BUT IT WAS TOUCH AND GO. I HAVE TEN
FERRETS NOW AND AM THINKING SERIOUSLY OF DISCONTINUING
VACCINES. I RESCUE FERRETS; EVEN TERMINALLY ILL ONES
THAT ARE INOPERABLE BUT ACTIVE. IT IS ONE THING TO
CARE FOR A DYING ANIMAL AND HAVE THEM PASS QUIETLY IN
YOUR HANDS - BUT IT IS A REAL NIGHTMARE TO TAKE A
HEALTHY ANIMAL IN FOR ROUTINE SHOTS AND ALMOST LOOSE
THEM.
I DONT KNOW IF YOU'LL GET THIS E-MAIL- IF YOU WOULD
LIKE TO RESPOND, I'M AT urbanden at YAHOO.COM
PS, I HAD SKUNKS (WILD) AS PETS WHEN I WAS A KID- THEY
WERE WONDERFUL PETS
AS SKUNKS ARE MUSTELIDAE (WEASEL FAMILY) I WOULD GO TO
MUSTELIDAE WEB SITE AND SEE WHAT YOU CAN FIND.
GOOD LUCK!