SK: Wanna see a funny looking SKUNK???????

Tracelene tracelene at
Fri May 31 10:45:07 PDT 2002

><< That is a squirrel. >>

If you look at all the old PRINTS of animals you will see many of
those who look like a squirrel are called skunks or pole cats, or
even civets.   I have a theory about this.
Since we know that the mephitis mephitis (skunk as we know it)  was
not indigenous to Europe and Asia ...  when drawings or renditions of
it appeared,  they had to place it in with the animals they did know.
Hence, they thought it belonged with the polecat
family or the squirrel...   you will note that most of these very
first drawings do not appear to be B&W.  they started showing up a
little later.   And these drawings or prints of them still appear in
old books.-- usually about the 1850 era.

Doesn't this make sense to you?  I would be surprised to learn that
Darwin ever saw a mephitis mephitis.
grandma tracelene