SK: Re: Baylisascaris Procyonis

homehold at homehold at
Sat Dec 1 10:23:32 PST 2001

No, we should never assume an animal is worm free because of a fecal
exam. _All_ animals, including dogs and cats, need to be on a regular
worming schedule. But someone killing a raccoon they had  because
someone convinced them that all raccoons have the roundworm is, IMHO, a
result of someone not being clear and honest somewhere down the line. (I
am also of the opinion that someone who didn't do lots of reserch before
killing it also means they shouldn't have had it in the first place.) I
just feel obligated to clarify things that might be misunderstood :-)
Not all raccoons have roundworm, not all skunks have rabies, not all
cows have mad cow disease. Be careful, but be a sensible careful. Do
research and make informed choices. Since my skunks and raccoons are
kept on a worming schedule and have not shown evidence of infestations,
I am not too concerned about contact between them and their toys or
whatever as far as parasites go. If they had not been on a schedule, or
even if they had been heavily infested when young, I'd consider that
fact. I have one raccoon with residual effects from distemper. I'm glad
she cares nothing about socializing, because I have not been able to
find definitive studies as to how long she might be able to carry it or
even if she could. I've had opinions both ways, but no study data. Her
toys never go into the general population. But some people would put her
down just because she might be contagious. Since a lot of people accept
things posted here as expert, I just wanted to stress doing a little
research on conditions, which can vary greatly from area to area.