SK: Baylisascaris Procyonis

SKUNKS10 at aol.com SKUNKS10 at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 09:40:17 PST 2001

I understand that, but with not being able to trust parasite fecal exam
results, do we just assume that raccoons and skunks don't have roundworm???
Do we  trust the lab results all the time???  Do we not put them on a monthly
treatment, just in case???  I would rather treat them as if they did have
roundworm than not.

When talking to the less informed who happen to have skunks and raccoons as
pets, especially wild ones, how do we get them to believe us that their
animals need to be (or should have been) on the roundworm treatments?

Are you saying that someone that has had a raccoon all over a log shouldn't
be concerned when letting their skunk now play on/in it???  I know of cases
where roundworm eggs have filtered down into the ground several feet and
found many years after the last raccoon had been in the enclosure!

I wish it were just cut and dry where all we had to do was take a turd,
prepare it to view under our microscopes, see roundworm and just treat the
animal and the environment.  Or not see anything and not bother with
worrying.  It's not that simple.

Share

<< BTW, saying wild raccoons have Baylisascaris Procyonis makes it sound
 like _all_ of them carry BP. Like all parasites, they only have them if
 they are exposed to them. They are not a common occurrence here, nowhere
 near like the southewest US, though I always stress regular wormings.
 There are too many parasites that are common, but blanket statements can
 be misconstrued by someone who doesn't know better.... We all know how
 widespread the "_all_ skunks carry rabies" myth has become. >>