[28owners] Jan 2007 E-Newsletter - Corsair 28 Class Association

Michael Zotzky mzotzky at houston.rr.com
Tue Jan 2 19:16:11 PST 2007

North American Corsair 28 Class Association

http://www.corsairmarine.com/528ClassIndex.htm

Electronic Newsletter - Volume 18 - January 2007

Year 2006 slipped away, and the 2007 season starts with a week of racing at
Key West.  Terms for Class Officers also ran out at the end of 2006, and
it's time for a changing of the guard.  If you have ANY time to spare,
please consider volunteering for one of the Class Officer positions, and
help keep the momentum of the Class going.  Here's more detail:

ACURA KEY WEST 2007 - JAN 15-19 - Our Corsair 28R National Championship

Looks like we will have a VERY STRONG SHOWING at Key West again this year,
with 14 boats signed up to race.  In addition to the multi-year regulars -
like Harkrider, Gleason, Marsh, Jenevein, Novak, and Reese - we have some
new Owners signed up to compete at this premiere event as well.  Considering
Randy Smyth will not be there with Rocketeer II, and my Persevere will not
be there, a 14-boat entry list is fantastic.  Here is a list of boats signed
up:

http://www.premiere-racing.com/keywest07/pages/KW07_div2_div4.htm#D4

Again, this has been designated as the 2007 Corsair 28R National
Championship.  We will be awarding trophies in two fleets: Championship
fleet, and Presidents fleet.  Professional sailors, industry pros, and
previous KWRW top-three finishers have been grouped in the Championship
fleet.  Boats with only amateur crews have been grouped in the Presidents
fleet.  There will be a set of Nationals awards (trophy and foul weather
gear for the skipper) three-deep for each fleet, plus the standard trophy
stuff for the overall finish order presented by Premiere Sailing.

On Monday night at 5-6 pm, the Corsair 28R's are one of four One Design
Classes invited to put on "Boat Speed - Tune & Trim to Win" sessions in the
big tent.  We have done this for the last two years, and had standing room
only.  I am in the process of gathering the panel, but with the top skippers
of prior KWRW, Nationals, and Corsair events attending, as well as long-time
Corsair sail makers, I think the talent will be there.  Bring your
questions, free beer will be served, and be prepared to walk away with
something new to try to be faster on the course.

Finally, buy an Event Access Card at the event if you didn't already do so
with your entry.  It is a great place for the sailors to meet up each
evening, the Race course action is run on five video screens, trophies are
awarded to the successful each evening, and complimentary soft drinks, beer,
snacks and Mount Gay Rum are available to all.

TRIMARAN NATIONALS

As you long-time Owners know, there is typically a Florida panhandle event
(at either Pensacola or Fort Walton Beach) each year - a gathering of the
many Corsair boats, and the F-25C's.  This event is normally sanctioned as
"Nationals", although this year the 28R's chose to sanction Key West Race
Week instead.  That aside, the Pensacola Yacht Club has announced some
specifics for the Florida panhandle event in 2007, and I would urge everyone
to participate.  For the non 28R One Designs, this will be your National
Championship, and I suspect to see long-time participants Jim Frederick,
Richard Stephens and others there.  For the 28R's, this likely will be
billed as a regional championship.  The other Corsair models will certainly
be attending as well, contesting their National Championship.  Look for more
information to come out on the Class List Server.  But for now, mark your
calendar for the date of April 22-27.  The current agenda includes a seminar
presented by Randy Smyth on April 22 & 23, with formal racing to begin on
the 24th.

The Notice of Race, Registration Form, and Lodging Information will be
available before the end of the month.  For further information, contact
Bert Rice, Pensacola Yacht Club, Regatta Chairman, 2007 Nationals,
850.932.2093, 850.206.8498 (cell) leave a message, or Nacrajib1 at aol.com.

For 2008, a serious proposal is underway to hold the "Nationals" in New
England in the summer.  Stay tuned for more on that!

CLASS OFFICER ELECTIONS

As per the Class Bylaws, our Officer terms ran out at the end of 2006.  We
will probably be doing elections at the end of January and NEED VOLUNTEERS
for CLASS OFFICERS, including my post as President.  It really is a
rewarding experience, and I have got to know a lot of great Class Members.
Please consider stepping up and volunteering.  It is a relatively short
two-year stint, or you can make a career out of it and stick around for six
years like I did!  A lot of the hard work in Class Rules development, sail
certification, Class organization has been done already too.  I don't mind
helping out the next person who takes over.  But please, we need some
volunteers.  Contact me direct.

CLASS LIST SERVER

Class List Server subscription is up to almost 130 members.  Remember, this
is your direct contact with fellow Owners - the guy or gal that has probably
already found the source of the chafed halyard, replaced the drums with disk
brakes, rerun the spinnaker halyard to exit the side of the mast, etc.  As
well, Class info gets posted there in a more-timely manner than my history
of getting out E-newsletters!  If you haven't signed up, you can do it here:
http://www.corsairmarine.com/528ClassListServe.htm.

WEBSITE

A few articles have been added to the Class website, and as well, the Sail
Certification database has been updated.  But we need more articles from
Owners.  So send me an article on a race, a write-up on any useful
modification you have made, or anything you think would be of interest to
your fellow owner.

TREASURY

The Class treasury started the year with $1,461.40.  Expenditures for
Nationals trophies was $1,000, which covered about half of the total cost,
and Finish Line dealership covered the rest.  So year-end 2006 treasury
totaled $461.40.

A NEW CHAPTER

Finally, it is with mixed emotions that Laurie and I have entered a new
chapter in our sailing life, with the sale of our Corsair 28R Persevere, and
the purchase of a Seawind 1000.  The Corsair is now owned by Jim and
Nathalie Diener, and kept at Sarasota Sailing Squadron - hopefully to be
seen racing among a growing group of Corsair 28R Owners in Florida.  After
almost a dozen years of owning and racing Corsairs, we have decided to try
cruising for a while.  I will still be crewing on someone's boat at Key
West, the NOOD regattas, or wherever I can snag a ride.  It's been a great
group of owners and dealers to work with, and I hope to see someone else
step up and take the reigns and lead this wonderful Class.  And before
anyone else asks, nope, the Class Bylaws are pretty specific that you need
to be a boat Owner to be an Officer!

Michael Zotzky

President - North American Corsair 28 Class Association

mzotzky at houston.rr.com

(281) 587-8913